54-68 Roman Imperial AE As VF Nero Victory SPQR SC Rome Copper Coin S-1976
- 54-68 AD Roman Imperial AE As coin
Issued under the rule of Nero, the 5th Emperor of the Roman Empire (54-68 AD)
- In 64 AD, most of Rome was destroyed in the Great Fire of Rome, which many Romans believed Nero himself had started in order to clear land for his planned palatial complex, the Domus Aurea
- He is infamously known as the Emperor who "fiddled while Rome burned" and was rumored to have had captured Christians dipped in oil, and then set on fire in his garden at night as a source of light
- In 68 AD, the rebellion of Vindex in Gaul and later the acclamation of Galba in Hispania drove Nero from the throne; facing a false report of being denounced as a public enemy who was to be executed, he committed suicide on 9 June 68 (the first Roman emperor to do so)
- Obverse features a bust of the emperor, facing left
- Reverse depicts Victoria (Victory) carrying a shield inscribed with SPQR, flying left, with "SC" in fields
- In ancient Roman religion, Victoria was the personified goddess of victory; she was adapted from the Sabine agricultural goddess Vacuna and had a temple on the Palatine Hill
- Victoria was the charioteer for Zeus in his battle to over take Mount Olympus
- Struck from copper alloy
- Diameter: 30 mm (at widest point)
- Weight: 9.43 grams
- Condition: Ungraded; expected to grade as Very Fine (VF); bronze disease on reverse
- The corrosion on the reverse is actually an example of bronze disease; this coin must be kept out of contact from other copper alloys (bronze, brass, etc) or it may be possible for it to spread to other artifacts
- Catalog number: Sear#1976
Reference Item # ANC-1234JBC 1/20/15
We accept check, wire transfer, cash on pickup, and payment processing through PayPal. We offer discounts for customers who can pay by wire, check, or cash. Please contact us for options and offers.
Purchases using PayPal are subject to a nonrefundable 5% restocking fee in the event of a return.
Pay on Pickup
All items in our store are available for viewing and purchase in our Southern California showroom, located at:
Free US Shipping with Insurance Included.
All items are professionally packaged and shipped. All shipments include insurance and signature confirmation for shipments over $100. We offer expedited shipping via USPS and FedEx for an additional fee.
Worldwide Shipping at Buyer’s Expense
*The customs requirements for each country, including all import duties, taxes, and fees are the responsibility of the buyer. All international packages will have the required customs declaration and value of order.
9.5% sales tax will be added.
If you spend over $1500 on numismatic and bullion items in California, they are tax-free!
Your continuing satisfaction is very important to us. We offer a 14 day money back return policy. If you are unhappy with your purchase for any reason, please notify us so that we can begin the returns process. A restocking fee may apply to all transactions, and a 5% restocking fee will apply to any payment processed through PayPal.
As one of the largest Coin & Jewelry Companies on the west coast, and also one of the best gold buyers, Continental has been the destination for coins, jewelry, fine art and collectible buyers and sellers for over 45 years.
Whether you’re looking to buy items or interested in selling gold and silver for cash, sell coins, or a variety of other collectibles, we are here to help. All items for sale are available for viewing at our Southern California showroom.
We would like to thank all of our loyal customers for their continued support.
We also purchase items and estates. Please contact us with any questions.