301 AD Roman Imperial AE Follis Coin CH-XF Diocletian Moneta Aquileia RIC-31a
- 301 AD Roman Imperial AE Follis Coin
- Issued under the rule of Diocletian, the 51st Emperor of the Roman Empire (284-305 AD)
- Born to a family of low status in the Roman province of Dalmatia, Diocletian rose through the ranks of the military to become cavalry commander to the Emperor Carus; after the deaths of Carus and his son Numerian on campaign in Persia, Diocletian was proclaimed emperor
- Diocletian's reign stabilized the empire and marks the end of the Crisis of the Third Century
- Obverse features a bust of the emperor, facing right
- Reverse depicts Moneta holding cornucopia and scales, standing left, with "V" in right field and "AQS" in exerge
- Juno Moneta, an epithet of Juno, was the protectress of funds; as such, money in ancient Rome was coined in her temple
- The word "moneta" is where we get the words "money", or "monetize", used by writers such as Ovid, Martial, Juvenal, and Cicero; in several modern languages including Russian and Italian, moneta (Spanish moneda) is the word for "coin"
- Minted in [AQS] Aquileia (Northern Italy)
- Today, the city is small (about 3,500 inhabitants), but it was large and prominent in Antiquity as one of the world's largest cities with a population of 100,000 in the second century AD
- Struck from copper or bronze
- Diameter: 28 mm (at widest point)
- Weight: 10.4 grams
- Condition: Ungraded; expected to grade as Choice Extra Fine (CH-XF); sharp detail
- Catalog number: RIC#31a
Reference Item # ANC-1263JBC 12/10/14
We accept check, wire transfer, cash on pickup, and payment processing through PayPal. We offer discounts for customers who can pay by wire, check, or cash. Please contact us for options and offers.
Purchases using PayPal are subject to a nonrefundable 5% restocking fee in the event of a return.
Pay on Pickup
All items in our store are available for viewing and purchase in our Southern California showroom, located at:
Free US Shipping with Insurance Included.
All items are professionally packaged and shipped. All shipments include insurance and signature confirmation for shipments over $100. We offer expedited shipping via USPS and FedEx for an additional fee.
Worldwide Shipping at Buyer’s Expense
*The customs requirements for each country, including all import duties, taxes, and fees are the responsibility of the buyer. All international packages will have the required customs declaration and value of order.
9.5% sales tax will be added.
If you spend over $1500 on numismatic and bullion items in California, they are tax-free!
Your continuing satisfaction is very important to us. We offer a 14 day money back return policy. If you are unhappy with your purchase for any reason, please notify us so that we can begin the returns process. A restocking fee may apply to all transactions, and a 5% restocking fee will apply to any payment processed through PayPal.
As one of the largest Coin & Jewelry Companies on the west coast, and also one of the best gold buyers, Continental has been the destination for coins, jewelry, fine art and collectible buyers and sellers for over 45 years.
Whether you’re looking to buy items or interested in selling gold and silver for cash, sell coins, or a variety of other collectibles, we are here to help. All items for sale are available for viewing at our Southern California showroom.
We would like to thank all of our loyal customers for their continued support.
We also purchase items and estates. Please contact us with any questions.