197 AD Roman Empire AR Denarius Julia Domna Vesta Laodicea Silver Coin RIC-648
- 197 AD Roman Imperial AR Denarius
Issued under the rule of Septimius Severus, the 20th Emperor of the Roman Empire (193-211 AD)
- Severus was born in Leptis Magna in the Roman province of Africa; as a young man he advanced through the cursus honorumâthe customary succession of officesâunder the reigns of Marcus Aurelius and Commodus
- Severus seized power after the death of Emperor Pertinax in 193 during the Year of the Five Emperors
- Obverse features a bust of the Julia Domna, facing right, with the legend "IVLIA AVGVSTA"
- Empress and wife of Roman Emperor Septimius Severus and mother of Emperors Geta and Caracalla, Julia was famous for her prodigious learning as well as her extraordinary political influence
- Reverse depicts Vesta holding patera and scepter, standing left, with the legend "VESTAE SANCTAE"
- Vesta is the virgin goddess of the hearth, home, and family in Roman religion
- The importance of Vesta to Roman religion is indicated by the prominence of the priesthood devoted to her, the Vestal Virgins, Rome's only college of full-time priests
- Minted at Laodicea ad Mare (Latakia, Syria)
- Struck from silver
- Diameter: 11 mm (at widest point)
- Weight: 3.1 grams
- Condition: Ungraded
- Catalog number: RIC#648, BMC#280, Sear#6614
Reference Item # ANC-1285JBC 2/5/15
We accept check, wire transfer, cash on pickup, and payment processing through PayPal. We offer discounts for customers who can pay by wire, check, or cash. Please contact us for options and offers.
Purchases using PayPal are subject to a nonrefundable 5% restocking fee in the event of a return.
Pay on Pickup
All items in our store are available for viewing and purchase in our Southern California showroom, located at:
Free US Shipping with Insurance Included.
All items are professionally packaged and shipped. All shipments include insurance and signature confirmation for shipments over $100. We offer expedited shipping via USPS and FedEx for an additional fee.
Worldwide Shipping at Buyer’s Expense
*The customs requirements for each country, including all import duties, taxes, and fees are the responsibility of the buyer. All international packages will have the required customs declaration and value of order.
9.5% sales tax will be added.
If you spend over $1500 on numismatic and bullion items in California, they are tax-free!
Your continuing satisfaction is very important to us. We offer a 14 day money back return policy. If you are unhappy with your purchase for any reason, please notify us so that we can begin the returns process. A restocking fee may apply to all transactions, and a 5% restocking fee will apply to any payment processed through PayPal.
As one of the largest Coin & Jewelry Companies on the west coast, and also one of the best gold buyers, Continental has been the destination for coins, jewelry, fine art and collectible buyers and sellers for over 45 years.
Whether you’re looking to buy items or interested in selling gold and silver for cash, sell coins, or a variety of other collectibles, we are here to help. All items for sale are available for viewing at our Southern California showroom.
We would like to thank all of our loyal customers for their continued support.
We also purchase items and estates. Please contact us with any questions.