1068-1071 Byzantine AV Histamenon Nomisma AU NGC Romanus IV Christ S-1859
- 1068-1071 East Roman (Byzantine) AV Histomenon Nomisma coin
- Issued under the rule of Romanus IV Diogenes, Emperor of the Byzantine Empire
- During his reign he was determined to halt the decline of the Byzantine military and to stop Turkish incursions into the Byzantine Empire, but in 1071 he was captured and his army routed at the Battle of Manzikert
- While still captive he was overthrown in a palace coup, and when released he was quickly defeated and detained by members of the Doukas family; in 1072, he was blinded and sent to a monastery, where he died of his wounds
- Obverse features Emperors Constantine, Michael and Andronikos
- Reverse depicts Emperor Romanus and Empress Eudocia on either side of Jesus Christ
- Struck from gold
- Diameter: 25 mm (at widest point)
- Weight: 4.38 grams
- Slabbed by NGC with the title "BYZANTINE EMPIRE // Romanus IV, AD 1068-1071 // AV Hist. Nomisma (4.38g) // ob Const.,Michael,Andron. // rv Romanus,Christ,Eudocia"
- Condition: Graded as About Uncirculated (AU) by NGC
- NGC comments: Strike 5/5, Surface 4/5, clipped
- NGC certification number: 3895198-001
- Catalog number: Sear#1859, DOC#1, BMC#1
Reference Item # GCF-1117
We accept check, wire transfer, cash on pickup, and payment processing through PayPal. We offer discounts for customers who can pay by wire, check, or cash. Please contact us for options and offers.
Purchases using PayPal are subject to a nonrefundable 5% restocking fee in the event of a return.
Pay on Pickup
All items in our store are available for viewing and purchase in our Southern California showroom, located at:
Free US Shipping with Insurance Included.
All items are professionally packaged and shipped. All shipments include insurance and signature confirmation for shipments over $100. We offer expedited shipping via USPS and FedEx for an additional fee.
Worldwide Shipping at Buyer’s Expense
*The customs requirements for each country, including all import duties, taxes, and fees are the responsibility of the buyer. All international packages will have the required customs declaration and value of order.
9.5% sales tax will be added.
If you spend over $1500 on numismatic and bullion items in California, they are tax-free!
Your continuing satisfaction is very important to us. We offer a 14 day money back return policy. If you are unhappy with your purchase for any reason, please notify us so that we can begin the returns process. A restocking fee may apply to all transactions, and a 5% restocking fee will apply to any payment processed through PayPal.
As one of the largest Coin & Jewelry Companies on the west coast, and also one of the best gold buyers, Continental has been the destination for coins, jewelry, fine art and collectible buyers and sellers for over 45 years.
Whether you’re looking to buy items or interested in selling gold and silver for cash, sell coins, or a variety of other collectibles, we are here to help. All items for sale are available for viewing at our Southern California showroom.
We would like to thank all of our loyal customers for their continued support.
We also purchase items and estates. Please contact us with any questions.